Hong Kong: Day 9

One downer about our hotel was that breakfast wasn't included in our room. Instead we decided to save money and make our own porridge. Like at home, I had mine in a mug with a big old dollop of Nutella. Delicious. Still, we thought we should try breakfast in Hong Kong before we left and so looked up some places to go online. We decided that Wagyu looked like a good shout and headed over to Central.

Walking to Wagyu there was the sense that the whole area is pretty European. There were loads of swish bars serving brunch and hangover helpfuls. Wagyu was the most packed of them all and so I expected it to be good. And boy was it! Apart from the leak in the ceiling, the place was perfect for brunch. I began by having a mocha to power me through the long day ahead. Ed got a smoothie which rather made me regret my decision. The breakfast menu is rather pricey but full of choices. It took me a while to decide between the eggs Benedict and the bagel but I decided to go with the New Yorker Bagel. It had smoked salmon and I never turn down salmon. Ed got the pancakes with syrup. When the meals came I so shocked. Back home you only get about two tiny pancakes at restaurants. Here, there was a whole stack and a huge pot of syrup. I was pretty happy with my bagel too. You can never go wrong with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Wagyu was delicious! I didn't get to look at the dinner or lunch menu but I'd definitely recommend going for breakfast if you are ever in HK. 




When we came out we wandered about. The plan for the day wasn't really set. We'd done quite a lot of sight seeing and it was nice to just roam around. That was until we got caught in the rain storm. It came out of no where. To be honest, it was quite nice to experience the torrential rain. We hadn't been caught in it all week and it was refreshing. Eventually it cleared up, by which time we were already soaked. 



We grabbed some more coffee and a cake (I have no idea how we fit it in after breakfast) and tried to dry off. While we'd been to the IFC mall loads that week, we'd never been on the rooftop in the day. If you want somewhere to go for a bit I'd recommend it. It's beautifully decorated and there are some great views of the harbour. 







After roaming around the botanical gardens a little we realised something. There was one HK TOP 10 that we hadn't ticked off: the Star Ferry. It's a pretty cheap and quick way to get across the harbour. There are some pretty views and I can imagine it would be interesting to go on in the dark when the buildings are all lit up.




We'd whiled away the day pretty much. But it was nice to a have a relaxing day rather than running from one sight to the next. Harbour City is a huge shopping centre and it's just outside the ferry terminal. We took some time exploring and watched the sun set on the top floor before getting dinner at House of Jasmine. Beware, this place can get busy. We got our number and had to wait for around 30 minutes before we went in. The place was packed with families sharing meals and it seemed like we were the only couple in there. Out of all the places we ate, I was probably least impressed by House of Jasmine. The food was fine but a bit pricey. The service could have been a bit friendlier too. Saying that, the decor was pretty and they served the rice in cute little bamboo pots. Another bonus, if you time it right you can grab a sunset cocktail on the terrace afterwards.  





1 comment:

  1. Reading your posts has given me the travel bug forsure. Thanks for sharing. Loved reading.

    ReplyDelete